Sunday, March 23, 2008

Does not play well with others

Angry Winston
Its been over two weeks since I slaved over a hot computer long enough to put anything on the ole blog. I really should be more faithful to this. I don't want to be one of those people that starts one of these and then just abandons it in a few months.

I've come to accept the fact that I'm not a people person. I'm not exactly paralyzed by crowds, but I don't like them. I can handle myself in front of a crowd in terms of public speaking. I just don't like being *in* a crowd and expected to interact socially with multiple people for any real period of time. After a short period of time the fragile circuitry in that part of my brain shorts out and I become a snarling dog. If I added alcohol to this, as some of my friends wanted me to, it would be a real mess.

I also can't get into to watching sports. I think it's my inability to enter into some typical group psychologies. I just don't identify strongly with other people playing a game, and am also puzzled by those that do buy in to the point of occasionally being upset by sporting events.

I am however a person person. I do enjoy spending time talking to a person, or a few people. Over dinner, or over a beer, or three. I enjoy intelligent conversation with people that I know will disagree with me and can hold their own. I do like mindless interactions at times, but mostly with people that I already know in significant way. It's not something I do to establish a relationship, its something I do when one already exists.

It kind of puts strain on some of my relationships in that what many people do to relax and get to know others only stresses me and causes me to withdraw. Oh well, I've always been kind of a loner. The trick is to be a loner that stays connected.

No comments: