Saturday, January 5, 2008

It's a new year.

Its a new year and everyone is making resolutions. I guess this is as good a time as any to turn over a new leaf and start blogging. I've grown tired of how much time I waste playing inane games and watching even more inane television and I've resolved to increase the portion of my life that I dedicate to things of value. Things that show a return on the investment of time one places in them. I don't know that this will pan out, but I'm gonna give it a go.

I've just gotten finished reading What Would Jesus Deconstruct? by John D. Caputo. Its been a while since I've read a book that resonated so much with what I see in the world around me, or maybe more accurately what I see myself seeing in the world around me. :) It was a curious process, reading the book. The old conservative evangelical that depends on propositional truth continues to live in the back of my head. As I read he continued to say that some of the more interesting parts were simply word salad (eg. the possible impossible, or the non/step). I didn't know the old codger (the conservative) was still so alive and well back there. I imagine some of the thoughts I entertain these days scare the living shit out of him. :)

I've just started Jesus, A Revolutionary Biography by John Dominic Crossan. The first portion of the book is a bit frustrating in that he takes generalizations about First Century Mediterranean society and assumes that they are an accurate portrayal of First Century Jewish culture. Not quite sure how painting with such a broad brush will ever lead to an accurate picture of a specific instance. That being said, I found his parallels between the gospel infancy accounts and contemporary Jewish literature very interesting.

Well, I think this is all I'm gonna get out of my brain for the evening. I hope I actually work on this and don't just let it fade into the nothingness.

No comments: